Welcome to Elgin!
Elgin, a community rich in history, was established in 1872 around cotton and the railroads.
Elgin is famous for the two products it has been making since 1882 - reliable bricks and delicious hot sausage.
Explore our rich historic heritage
- Historic BBQ establishments in Elgin produce over 3 million pounds of sausage annually, resulting in the Texas State Legislature Officially designating our town the "Sausage Capitol of Texas."
- Three local brick companies produce over 267 million bricks a year, garnering the city the title "Brick Capitol of the Southwest".
- Elgin has also been designated by the National Trust for Historic Preservation as a National Main Street Community. It offers mayny award winning examples of historic preservation.
- The H & T C Freight Depot built in 1872 is the oldest building in Elgin. It currently houses the Elgin Chamber of Commerce.
- The original passenger depot, Union Depot, has been completely renovated. It now serves as a museum for the community.
- The Nofsinger House built in 1906 houses the Elgin City Hall.
- Elgin became a Texas Main Street City in 1990. The historic district includes 14 city blocks. Most of these buildings are constructed of locally produced brick and were erected from 1872 to 1947. Many downtown buildings have been restored or renovated.
- Downtown businesses include exquisite art galleries, unique antique shops and a variety of restaurants.